Sunday, July 27, 2014

Finished top! : Wiksten #1 : the pinstripe version



So, I've been sewing more than Everyday Skirts lately ... I have a few Wiksten tank tops that I've whipped up to share.

          



I used stash fabric for this first version to get a feel for the fit ... the fabric is some cotton/polyester shirting fabric that I bought for super cheap years and years ago and it's been hanging around in my stash since then. I recall buying it to make something for my daughter when she was a baby ... my daughter who is about to turn 12.  That's some languishing in the stash, I tell you!  Luckily it made a great Wiksten tank.  

        

This was my very first experience at making bias tape to apply to the neckline and sleeves.  It was very interesting and the experience has become easier, luckily. 




I find the tank to be extremely comfy to wear in the summer heat, and the polyester (or whatever makes this not 100% cotton) means that it wrinkles less, which is a plus, in my opinion.  I also love the subtle stripes that don't really reek of the 4th of July (like my first Everyday Skirt sort of does), yet they convey that simple "casual July tank top" feel.  They also go great with my red clogs, which is a huge bonus.  


I wore this tank top to a picnic for my son's marching band.  My husband accompanied me and was kind enough to take a few photos in a great spot for a photo op -- it's trailer-turned-into-a-moveable-clinic project that some colleagues and students at my school have been working on. You can see more of the project here in this video on YouTube.  I'm extremely impressed with this project and very proud of my school!

Project notes :
Pattern : Wiksten - Tank Top
Fabric : Cheap-o cotton blend
Mods : Size large - no mods
{{On Kollabora here.}}



No comments:

Post a Comment