Sunday, July 6, 2014

Finished skirt! : Everyday Skirt #1 : the 4th of July version

I am pleased to report that I have some finished projects to share, and I plan to actually blog about them!  Come back to see what crafty goodness I've been up to ... in the meanwhile let me share my first project, the Everyday Skirt #1.  (I say #1 because there are others that will surely follow.)  


I purchased the Everyday Skirt pattern by Liesl + Co. recently.  I couldn't wait to make it -- and luckily the 4th of July was around the corner.  I found a super-sale of fabric at Joann's and decided to work up a skirt to go with the holiday, as well as to be my "practice skirt" before I cut into more expensive fabric that I had chosen for this skirt. 


I don't know about you, but I'm not super crazy about making muslin work-ups of patterns.  I know that it's what I *should* do, but if I'm going to go through the trouble of sewing a garment, then I'd like to save something to show for it -- even if I can only wear it once a year.   I ended up making the size medium, which truly is my size, but I feel it came out a little large.  I did shorten the hem by 2" and I think I might go for more length next time.  I'm on the fence about whether to go down in size next time.



I feel pretty pleased with the way this skirt came out, and I think the July 4th fabric that I chose - pinwheels - is pretty darn cute.  I might be able to wear this for more than just the 4th - I'm the kind of girl to wear red, white and blue pinwheels on the 14th of July as well.  (Bleu, blanc, rouge are actually France's colors, too, after all.)



 For me, the very best part about this skirt is the fact that I can wear my red Swedish Hasbeens with it.  I'm obsessed with clogs in general, and probably have more pairs of Swedish Hasbeens than the average girl, but these red clog sandals are my very favorite.



Project notes :
Pattern : Everyday Skirt by Liesl + Co.
Fabric : Cheap 4th of July fabric from Joann's
Mods : Made size medium but shortened the hem by 2".
{{On Kollabora here.}}

No comments:

Post a Comment